Project and Product names using "Spark"
Organizations creating products and projects for use with Apache Spark, along with associated
marketing materials, should take care to respect the trademark in “Apache Spark” and its logo.
Please refer to ASF Trademarks Guidance and
for comprehensive and authoritative guidance on proper usage of ASF trademarks.
Names that do not include “Spark” at all have no potential trademark issue with the Spark project.
This is recommended.
Names like “Spark BigCoProduct” are not OK, as are names including “Spark” in general.
The above links, however, describe some exceptions, like for names such as “BigCoProduct,
powered by Apache Spark” or “BigCoProduct for Apache Spark”.
It is common practice to create software identifiers (Maven coordinates, module names, etc.)
like “spark-foo”. These are permitted. Nominative use of trademarks in descriptions is also
always allowed, as in “BigCoProduct is a widget for Apache Spark”.
Companies and Organizations
To add yourself to the list, please email
firstname.lastname@example.org with your organization name, URL,
a list of which Spark components you are using, and a short description of your use case.
- UC Berkeley AMPLab - Big data research lab that
initially launched Spark
- We’re building a variety of open source projects on Spark
- We have both graduate students and a team of professional software engineers working on the stack
- Act Now
- Spark powers NOW APPS, a big data, real-time, predictive analytics platform. We use Spark SQL,
MLlib and GraphX components for both batch ETL and analytics applied to telecommunication data,
providing faster and more meaningful insights and actionable data to the operators.
- Agile Lab
- enhancing big data. 360 customer view, log analysis, BI
- Alibaba Taobao
- We built one of the world’s first Spark on YARN production clusters.
- Alluxio, formerly Tachyon, is the world’s first system that unifies disparate storage systems
at memory speed.
- Trending analytics and personalization
- We are using Spark Core, Streaming, MLlib and Graphx. We leverage Spark and Hadoop ecosystem
to build cost effective data center solution for our customer in telco industry as well as
other industrial sectors.
- Predictive models and learning algorithms to improve the relevance of programmatic marketing.
- Components used: Spark SQL, MLLib.
- Bakdata – using Spark (and Shark) to perform interactive
exploration of large datasets
- Big Industries - using Spark Streaming: The
Big Content Platform is a business-to-business content asset management service providing a
searchable, aggregated source of live news feeds, public domain media and archives of content.
- ClearStory Data – ClearStory’s platform and
integrated Data Intelligence application leverages Spark to speed analysis across internal
and external data sources, driving holistic and actionable insights.
- Spark SQL, MLlib
- Using Spark for travel and expenses analytics and personalization<
- Content Square
- We use Spark to regularly read raw data, convert them into Parquet, and process them to
create advanced analytics dashboards: aggregation, sampling, statistics computations,
anomaly detection, machine learning.
- Conviva – Experience Live
- Credit Karma
- We create personalized experiences using Spark.
- Formed by the original creators of Apache Spark, Databricks is working to expand the
open source project and simplify big data and machine learning. We’re deeply
committed to keeping all our work on Spark open source.
- We provided a cloud-optimized platform
to run Spark and ML applications on Amazon Web Services and Azure, as well as a comprehensive
- eBay Inc.
- Using Spark core for log transaction aggregation and analytics
- Elsevier Labs
- Use Case: Building Machine Reading Pipeline, Knowledge Graphs, Content as a Service, Content
and Event Analytics, Content/Event based Predictive Models and Big Data Processing.
- We use Scala and Python over Databricks Notebooks for most of our work.
- Build eCommerce and data intelligence solutions to the retail industry on top of
- Big Data analytics for subscriber profiling and personalization in telecommunications domain.
We are using Spark Core and MLlib.
- Freeman Lab at HHMI
- We are using Spark for analyzing and visualizing patterns in large-scale recordings of brain
activity in real time
- Fundacion CTIC
- Stream processing of network machine data
- Hitachi Solutions
- The Hive
- IBM Almaden
- Award winning Big Data consulting company with focus on Spark and Hadoop
- Istanbul Sehir University
- Digital marketing solutions and predictive media optimization
- Using Spark Core, SQL, and Streaming. Product recommendations, BI and analytics,
real-time malicious activity filtering, and data mining.
- Knoldus Software LLC
- Batch, real-time, and predictive analytics driving our mobile app analytics and marketing
- Components used: Spark, Spark Streaming, MLLib.
- MediaCrossing – Digital Media Trading Experts in the
New York and Boston areas
- We are using Spark as a drop-in replacement for Hadoop Map/Reduce to get the right answer
to our queries in a much shorter amount of time.
- Using Spark to clean-up user entered food data using both explicit and implicit user signals
with the final goal of identifying high-quality food items.
- Using Spark to build different recommendation systems for recipes and foods.
- NASA JPL - Deep Space Network
- Nokia Solutions and Networks
- NTT DATA
- Nube Technologies
- Nube provides solutions for data curation at scale helping customer targeting, accurate
inventory and efficient analysis.
- Ooyala, Inc. – Powering personalized video experiences
across all screens
- Using Apache Spark for log processing and ETL. The data obtained feeds the recommender
system powered by Spark MLLIB Matrix Factorization. We are evaluating the use of Spark
Streaming for real-time analytics.
- PanTera is a tool for exploring large datasets. It uses Spark to create XY and geographic
scatterplots from millions to billions of datapoints.
- Components we are using: Spark Core (Scala API), Spark SQL, and GraphX
- Apache PredicitionIO
- PredictionIO currently offers two engine
templates for Apache Spark MLlib for recommendation (MLlib ALS) and classification (MLlib Naive
Bayes). With these templates, you can create a custom predictive engine for production deployment
- Radius Intelligence
- Using Scala, Spark and MLLib for Radius Marketing and Sales intelligence platform including
data aggregation, data processing, data clustering, data analysis and predictive modeling of all
- Real Impact Analytics
- Building large scale analytics platforms for telecoms operators
- Uses Spark to build predictive models and recommendation systems for marketing automation
- Samsung Research America
- Simba Technologies
- BI/reporting/ETL for Spark and beyond
- SK Telecom
- SK Telecom analyses mobile usage patterns of customer with Spark and Shark.
- Stanford DAWN
- Research lab on infrastructure for usable machine learning, with multiple research projects that run over or
accelerate Apache Spark.
- Offers an open-source Big Data platform centered around Apache Spark.
- Taboola – Powering ‘Content You May Like’ around the web
- Tetra Concepts
- UC Santa Cruz
- University of Missouri Data Analytics and Discover Lab
- Intelligent video ads for online and television viewing audiences.
- Vistar Media
- Location technology company enabling brands to reach on-the-go consumers
- Using Spark in
to process islands identified from a search robor
- Zaloni’s data lake management platform (Bedrock) and self-service data preparation solution
(Mica) leverage Spark for fast execution of transformations and data exploration.